Sunday 23 December 2018

Cellular Jewellery - Part 1

You may have gathered that I love jewellery with 3D elements and my mind is swimming with various ideas at times - particularly when I see 3D effects and wonder if something similar can be done in polymer clay.

Holes showing layers below has been in my thoughts for a couple of years and I had toyed with the idea and made what I thought were some nice pendants.  The first I did to cover a black cabochon and I still love the purple, green and beige tones.


Another was the Lava Pendant.  I wanted to create the feel of  bubbling lava - volcano style!  As with the previous pendant, the red, orange, and black colours were achieved using alcohol inks on a light coloured clay, while the yellow background is bright yellow clay painted with a very vibrant alcohol ink - Pinata Sunbright Yellow to be precise.  I must get some more of this ink.  It is more intense than the Ranger Adirondack Sunlight Yellow equivalent.  The downside of the Pinata is that it scorches more easily - especially if a piece requires several bakings or needs to be baked for a long time.

 

The next one, I called Leviathan Spit.  Leviathan was a great Sea Monster mentioned in the Old Testament of the Bible.  I always have this image of the monster rising through the surface from the deep, with water and foam running from its mouth - hence Leviathan Spit.   The base is light blue and the lighter colours are white and ivory clay.  Looks simple enough, but the white and ivory clay was rolled as thin as I could get it and then holes punched in to it and other small details added.


A colour combination I have loved for a long time is light blue and light pink.  The next pendant was pretty straight forward compared to the others.  Just a simple cellular pendant, but I liked it - and so did someone else, thankfully.




Polymer clay is extremely versatile, but it has limitations too - especially when used in making jewellery.  I'll look at some of these problems in part two of my Cellular Jewellery when a photo led to me experimenting with more layers and more three dimensional creations.

_______________________________________________________

Some of the pieces above are still available in my Etsy shop ...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/AlanCordiner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Bag End, Hobbiton

Making mainly jewellery, when thinking of something to make a male friend, it is quite a poser.  Few men wear any jewellery and if they ...